Thursday, January 21, 2010

Consultation #2

Well, this week we were able to see our friend and neighbor who also happens to be an Orthodontist. According to him, Michael's upper set of teeth are narrower than his lower set of teeth which is the opposite of what it should be. He says that doing braces alone for Michael's situation would be pretty much pointless, but also warns that there's a chance that even undergoing all these treatments may not cure the pain. So what I got from it is that it looks like maybe the Oral Surgeon will have to break upper and lower jaw parts to spread the top part of Michael's mouth to fit over the lower, in conjunction with braces. It's all so overwhelming. The one thing we do know for sure is that because Michael still has his Wisdom Teeth, that they need to come out first. Apparently where your Wisdom Teeth come in, is typically where Oral Surgeons need to bolt stuff in and after your WT are pulled it takes a year for the bone to heal enough to perform the procedure. I think I recall too that we'll have to wait for 6 months after his WT extraction, before Michael could get braces on. Then the braces have to be on for like 9 months to a year before we can have the jaw surgery performed, followed by another year or so of orthodontics. This will be quite the process! Poor Michael! I can't say it enough! I told him if it were me, that just the thought of all that I would have to go through would put me in a panic attack and I'd probably puke. I want to puke for him.....

Obviously this is a huge ordeal so we will be consulting one more Oral Surgeon and one more Orthodontist to gather as much information as we can before we move ahead. But it's definitely looking like it's time to pull some Wisdom Teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment